Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Royal Lineage

The striped and spotted marking on the adorable fingerling bunnies in Tuesday's video post reminded me of my recent forays into genealogy, in which I attempted to lift the veil of mystery surrounding my birth and origins. For, while I am assured of my royal heritage, I have never been completely certain of my exact breeding and lineage, since I never met my father and was taken from my mother at a tender age. Thankfully, being a bunny of the internet era, I was able to do some basic research and uncover some likely clues to my genetic heritage.

I believe myself to be of the English Spot breed, one of the oldest breeds of rabbit, and one renowned for its gentle personality as well as for its glamorous, sought-after spot patterns. In fact, the French name for the breed is "lapin papillon anglais," or English Butterfly Rabbit, referring to the butterfly marking on our noses, which I feel I exhibit quite nicely. (English Spots with imperfect nose markings are known as "Charlies" since their marking resemble a small moustache). However, sources cite our "curious and fun-loving nature" as our best quality, and I must say I do agree with that description!

Below, I have posted my latest glamour shot alongside a 19th-century illustration of the "perfect" English Spot rabbit -- a Platonic ideal of rabbithood that has certainly never been attained, although I do think I come rather close -- what do you think?


















You do see the family resemblance, don't you?

xoxox
Parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment